Environmentally-friendly, hybrid diesel battery locomotive with reduced emissions and fuel consumption (under development)
Toshiba HDB 800
Powerful and environmentally-friendly
Toshiba HDB 800* is a shunting locomotive which is able to run on a main line for a short distance in order to reach its area of operation. It offers easier maintenance due to a modular design, as well as high energy efficiency and emission free operation.
The series hybrid system allows for operation at the most energy-efficient point by using either one or both power generation modules or the traction batteries respectively. This reduces emissions and saves valuable resources. Toshiba’s electrical components including its Traction Battery System based on SCiB™ TypeS modules, Power Converter, SFCU and Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor (PMSM) support a safe, reliable and energy-efficient operation.
- Modular vehicle structure for easy maintenance and upgrade to future technologies
- Redundant traction- and auxiliary system
- Two power generator modules for optimized load control
- Four traction motors type PMSM for single-axis control and less maintenance
- Vehicle control via one of the two driver’s desks or via remote control
- Multi traction with up to four vehicles
How to control
(navigation at bottom of animation)
3D View Driver’s Cab
DB Cargo AG plans to deploy at least 100 Toshiba HDB 800 locomotives to achieve more resource-efficient operation of its shunting yards and service to its customers in the downstream market. The target will be annual energy savings of at least 30% and savings of at least 1 million liters of diesel fuel per year.